Blogging is not an easy task. It takes commitment. It calls for hard work without an abrupt return of investment. Blogging is not a 9-5 thing, it’s 24/7. It includes planning, writing, editing, promotion on social media platforms, and tons of frustration.
This year, my only wish is to get my work recognized, be it by a loyal audience or by my fellow bloggers. Today, I got my WISH GRANTED!
I have been nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award by Kim Vignale. Kim is a Cambodian-American blogger who writes about her experiences about travel, food, fitness, and lifestyle. Kim packed up and moved to seek new adventures with her husband in a new place. What’s next to her adventures? Check out Kimbodian Speaks and be in the know. Thank you, Kim, for recognizing my work!
For everyone’s information, the Sunshine Blogger Award is given by bloggers to fellow “bloggers who are creative, inspiring and bringers of sunshine into the lives of their readers.” The award is not limited to bloggers who belong to the same niche. Being nominated by peers is a big deal for me that I consider it an early Christmas gift!
The Sunshine Blogger Award is a pay-it-forward kind, and there are a few rules to follow once you get nominated:
RULES FOR THE SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD NOMINATION
- The nominees should thank the blogger who nominated them and link back to their blog.
- The nominees should answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated them.
- The nominees should nominate 11 other blogs and give them 11 new questions to answer. They should also notify the nominees.
- The nominees should list the rules and display their own version of the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in their post.
Here are the 11 questions that Kim asked me to answer:
What do you do for a living?
I am into full-time freelance writing with travel blogging on the side, which has brought me a few clients who pay for mentions and reviews.
Why did you start blogging?
I’ve always had the knack for writing. I worked for years as a news writer-editor and when I grew tired of it, I turned to blogging about my travels. It feels good to be able to write about everything you see and discover on the road.
What’s your favorite food?
I have two favorites, 2 P’s – Pizza and Pasta (no pineapple on pizza, please!)
Where would you like to travel to next?
I’d like to explore Japan the way it hasn’t been explored yet by any other traveler.
What’s your favorite tip for a new blogger?
Work hard first, money will follow.
What’s your favorite book?
I’m not a bookworm but among the few books I’ve read, my favorite’s The Road Less Travelled.
What’s your favorite website?
What else but my own, thesolotripper.com. It’s waiting for you, go check it out!
What’s your favorite movie?
I have many favorites! But since it’s the Holiday season, I’d say The Holiday tops my list now.
What are your goals for 2018?
More travel goals and a more engaging travel blog for all!
What do you want for Christmas?
Peace of mind.
What are your hobbies?
Besides traveling, I love photography. They go hand in hand!
I have nominated other blogs as well not only about travel but about single mom’s life, parenting, wellness, crafts, and architecture. I kind of broke the rule of 11 because I nominated the 12th blogger. It was so hard to choose from dozens of blogs, a lot of them are good!
The bloggers listed below are my top picks for the Sunshine Blogger Award.
NOMINEES FOR THE SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD
- Wait, Marina Who? – Marina Yves Wang
- The Oreo Archives – Sabrina Lee
- Open Road and a Broken Compass – Amanda Jenkins
- A Well Travelled Beauty – Sarah Leckie
- A Simple Chic Being Real – Kym McGrath
- That Former Sidekick Girl – Dawn Melissa
- The Curvy Chapter – Olivieira Saskia
- It’s Brea Stewart – Brea Stewart
- Cajun Traveler – Toby Cajun
- The Archi Effect – Zahra Taha Ali
- Capture Sensibility – Guro Edvardsen
- The Good Life With Amy French – Amy French
I like the Q&A part of this Sunshine Blogger Award because I get to know a few personal things about other bloggers. Every blog has an About the Author box but with the Q&A, you get to know him/her more. So for the bloggers that I have selected, here is my set of questions:
- What book would you recommend to any reader?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What’s the place you have traveled that made you want to live there?
- How would you describe your 2017 in one word?
- What’s your most favorite holiday?
- Who is your Hollywood celebrity crush?
- What got you into blogging?
- Why did you choose your present blog’s niche?
- How has blogging helped you in terms of personal development?
- What are you looking forward to in 2018?
- What’s your favorite quote about life?
Again, thank you Kim Vignale for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. This recognition says I am doing a great job. It pushes me to give more to my readers in 2018 and the years to come. Congratulations to the recipients, let’s keep working hard with the thing that makes us feel alive – blogging.
Sheila, a.k.a. The Solo Tripper. Former news desk editor, full-time traveler, freelance writer.